Online dating sites have moved from a niche position to become the primary way many people find that special someone. There are now many different specialized sites offering users the ability to meet people in their own age groups who share their hobbies and interests.
Here’s a look at some of the best dating sites for seniors.
SENIOR-SPECIFIC DATING SITES
- 50YearsPlus.com – This site describes itself as “a singles site for seniors with integrity.” It does require paid membership, but you can check it out for a week-long free trial period to see if it’s the right place for you.
- Dating For Seniors – This website offers opportunities to find long-term relationships, as well as friends and casual dates. You can get a free basic membership to access the site and see who’s available, but you’ll need to upgrade to a paid membership if you want to use all the services this dating site offers.
- SilverSingles.com – SilverSingles.com has been around since 2002 (formerly known as PrimeSingles.net) and boasts thousands of 50 and over mature singles as its members. This is a safe, clean site that brings together mature singles for friendship, dating, and marriage. Features include photo galleries, private mailboxes, public forums, chat rooms and instant messaging. It’s simple to use and navigate.
- Real Mature Singles – Targeted at members aged 40 and over, this site takes the time to check up on all applicants. That means you can be sure that you’re talking to a real person, not a scammer.
- SeniorFriendFinder – Designed specifically for single people over the age of 40, Senior Friend Finder provides free profiles and many different ways to communicate. If you have a paid subscription, you can even send a video message. At almost half a million members, this site provides you with a lot of options.
- SeniorMatch.com – Senior Match advertises itself as a site only for singles over age 50. As one of the largest sites targeted to seniors, it maintains a minimum age requirement.
- Senior Passions – This dating site bills itself as a free social network and dating site. It’s targeted at people who are looking for friends, companions or long-term relationships.
- Your Senior Dating Site – A straightforward site that promises no advertisements, personalized service and an easy to use interface. It’s free to sign up and browse the listings. If you want to contact someone you’re interested in, however, you’ll need to purchase a membership.
GENERAL AUDIENCE DATING SITES
While dating sites meant just for seniors are often the best place to start looking, they can have relatively small memberships. This sometimes makes it hard to find someone compatible with your interests and preferences.
General sites provide a larger user database and usually allow you to specify a desired age range to narrow things down.
- Chemistry.com – This Match.com subsite offers a range of computerized matching techniques to connect you to the perfect date.
- eHarmony – This dating site provides a more pro-active option for people who aren’t comfortable browsing the user database on their own. eHarmony asks you questions about your personality and preferences, then provides you with possible mates based on a complex formula.
- be2.com – With over 30 million members worldwide, be2 is one of the world’s leading matchmaking websites. 20,000 new members join every day. Using psychological and sociological criteria based on scientific personality tests, be2 specializes in helping people find fulfilling and long lasting relationships.
- GayDating.com – This site can be a big help if you’re frustrated by the standard dating site’s assumption that you’re straight. Gay Dating is one of the largest gay-only dating sites and is backed by Matchmaker.com.
- Great Expectations – GE is a localized service that combines online dating and matchmaking services. It’s available in about 50 U.S. cities and screens each applicant in an in person interview. It also provides face-to-face events for meeting new people.
- Lavalife – LavaLife allows you to vary your dating search depending on the kind of relationship you want. You can select from intimate encounters, dates or relationships. It’s even possible to create a separate profile for each type of search.
- Match.com – A popular, well-established dating service with an enormous database of potential dates. Browsing Match.com is free, but you can’t contact anyone until you upgrade to a paid membership.
- Matchmaker – Matchmaker offers free matchmaking services that help you narrow down the pool of potential dates. The site does require a paid membership to make contact, however.
- Perfectmatch.com – This site’s compatibility system allows you to avoid spending a lot of time on your search. When a potential match is available, you’ll get an email.
- Plentyoffish.com – Advertised as the dating site for everyone, Plenty of Fish lets you narrow your search down to a specific dating environment. You can choose an age range, religion, and many other demographic factors.
- SinglesNet – A service that offers a five million member database and free membership, with access to many of the same features found in popular paid dating services.
- Okcupid – is a new contender in the free dating arena. It has become hugely popular in the relatively short time it’s been around. It’s simple to use and has a large membership.
TIPS FOR USING THE BEST DATING SITES
Once you’ve found the perfect place to begin your search, you’ll need to think about how to navigate it. While online dating can seem a little intimidating at first, building your profile and contacting someone for the first time is actually very easy.
Here are some things you should know.
- Choose a creative name that reflects your personality, but don’t give away any personal information.
- Describe yourself clearly but honestly in your profile. When in doubt, keep things short and sweet. Double-check your profile for potential spelling and grammar problems.
- Include a photo, but make sure it’s a recent one. Pick the best quality snapshot or studio photo you have. If no one has taken your picture recently, have a friend take one just for the site.
- Take precautions about your personal information. Don’t include your full name, contact information or any other personal data in your profile.
- Don’t be afraid to contact other people. Waiting for a message can be boring and frustrating, so send a few short messages of your own.
- Respond to anyone who contacts you, even if you don’t find that person interesting. Most people would rather be told “no” kindly than ignored.
If you’re ready to check out some of the best dating sites available for seniors, now’s the time to start. You can choose from dating sites aimed at your age group or start out on a general site to get access to more potential partners. No matter which you choose, put your profile together carefully and don’t forget to have fun!