If you’re ever unsure of how to proceed in a certain situation these dating rules for women may come in handy.
While every person should handle dating in a way that makes them feel comfortable, there are a few guidelines that can boost your success. Taking the time to study these rules gives you a feel for the dating game and lets you decide whether you’re going to follow them, or break them.
Here’s a look at a few of the most common rules that apply to women looking for men.
- Look as good as possible, within your income. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to maintain your appearance, but it is a good idea to do what you can. Stop to consider the best way to take care of yourself given your budget and lifestyle, then make sure you do it on a day to day basis. After all, you could meet a potential date just about anywhere.
- Avoid saying too much. This rule gives you a little bit of personal protection, plus it helps you retain a little bit of mystery, especially when it comes to personal information.
- Don’t make dates too long. Keeping things brief can be a lot more interesting. Sometimes less is more.
- Get physical. In addition to keeping yourself looking good through personal care, you should also put in a little time on physical fitness. You don’t need to look like an Olympic athlete, but the effort will keep you feeling healthier, more confident and more attractive.
- Figure out who’ll pay in advance. Many men still prefer to pay for the date in order to show their interest. If you have a strong interest in covering your own check, let your date know in advance. Haggling over the check never looks good.
- Avoid pressure to be physically intimate. If all you’re looking for is a casual good time, there’s nothing wrong with that. If you aren’t comfortable with hooking up, however, you should never let your date pressure you. Even if he covered the cost of the date, you don’t owe him anything and should never have sex before you feel ready.
- Don’t be too early. While keeping someone waiting is rude and inconsiderate, showing up well before your date can be a bad idea, too. It can make you look desperate or demanding. Stick with being on time or only a minute or two late.
- Avoid seeming over-eager. Even if you’re delighted to hear from your date again, don’t wait by the phone. No one wants to look like they don’t have anything going on. Wait a little while before returning calls or replying to messages to prevent yourself from coming on too strong.
- Be physically confident. Make sure you know how to kiss and that you feel confident when you do choose to be physically intimate. Forcing your date to do all the work is unappealing.
- Avoid talking about the past. Even if your exes or family members have been a big feature in your life, talking about them too much can make your date feel uncomfortable. This kind of conversation takes the focus off you as a couple and can derail your evening.
- Don’t make assumptions. While the way your date dresses and behaves can certainly tell you a few things, it’s not a good idea to make assumptions. Give anyone you date a little while to get to know you and show their real personality.
- Stand up for yourself. If your date acts possessive, jealous or insecure for no reason, he may not be the right choice for you. Never allow a date’s immature emotional reaction to control your behavior.
- Be discriminating. Just like you need to take care of yourself, you have the right to ask that your date does the same. If you feel as though you’re seeing someone slovenly who doesn’t really care, you don’t have to stay with him.
- Avoid desperation or passivity. It may be traditional to wait for your date to become interested in you, but this leads to a lot of lonely nights. Be willing to take the first step, but don’t seem desperate or overly accommodating.
You don’t have to stick with all these guidelines, but they can be a big help. If you’re not sure what to do, you can always refer to these dating rules for women.